If you say that a task was not all plain sailing, you mean that it was not very easy. Pregnancy wasn’t all plain sailing and once again there were problems. We know it won’t be plain sailing because there are no easy games at this level.
What is meant by plain sailing?
The expression is mostly used in informal contexts to mean ‘smooth and easy progress’. When you say that something was plain sailing, you mean things went off without a hitch; there were no problems or obstructions of any kind along the way. ‘Clear sailing’ and ‘smooth sailing’ mean the same thing.
How do you use the word sailing in a sentence?
Sailing sentence example
- She sent a chair sailing across the room. …
- When only a child he liked to stand by the river and see the ships sailing past. …
- Sometimes Selkirk saw ships sailing in the distance. …
- Toby held his breath as Ully disappeared through the door to where Jared sat.
Should plains be sailing?
Progress or advancement that is free from hassle and easy to achieve. If we can just get the application approved, it should be smooth sailing from there.
How do you use plain in a sentence?
Plain sentence example
- I’m glad we were out in plain sight! …
- Her room was plain and basic. …
- She was now plain rather than pretty. …
- And she is not at all so plain , either. …
- All the people I have ever met before were very plain to see. …
- Those are the plain and simple facts. …
- It was plain he regretted it.
How do you call a spade a spade?
Definition of ‘to call a spade a spade’
If you say that someone calls a spade a spade, you mean that they speak clearly and directly about things, even embarrassing or unpleasant things. I’m not at all secretive, and I’m pretty good at calling a spade a spade.
Is smooth sailing an idiom?
Easy progress, as in We had a hard time setting up the new computer system but it’ll be smooth sailing from here on. The smooth in this idiom alludes to calm waters, free from big waves or roughness, a usage dating from the late 1300s.
How do you use the word sail as a noun?
We went for a sail.
- The bay was full of boats with billowing sails.
- The boat is preserved as a monument to the days of sail.
- The sails caught the wind once more and they were on their way.
- The white canvas sail hung limply against the mast.
- The ship came in under sail and anchored near us.
How do you use steer in a sentence?
be a guiding force, as with directions or advice.
- You row and I’ll steer.
- You steer and I’ll push.
- I have to steer by him; he’s my boss.
- Try to steer the light boat to the big ship so that we can be picked up.
- It took Mary weeks learning how to steer into the garage.
What is the sentence of route?
Route sentence example. If she saw an escape route , she was gone. There was no real way to know which route she might’ve taken. I was taking a route no one else could track.
What is an example of a plain?
The definition of plain is clearly understood, obvious, simple or not complicated. An example of plain is using basic language to describe something. An example of plain is unflavored yogurt. An example of plain is a woman without make-up.
What is a good sentence for plains?
How To Use Plains In A Sentence? The open plains were full of game of many kinds. We journeyed due west over plains of great extent. To go to the plains without these would be dreary work.
What do you mean by plains?
A plain is a broad area of relatively flat land. Plains are one of the major landforms, or types of land, on Earth. They cover more than one-third of the world’s land area.